Merapi humbling us

Experiencing the overwhelming city of Yogyakarta was a bit too much for me, venturing to a location plagued by poverty and pollution is not my idea of a relaxing holiday. 


Being highly sensitive to my surroundings, I absorb everything and notice even the smallest details, so being in that environment was not ideal for my mental and emotional well-being. I made the decision to stay put in the lovely accommodation we had booked and avoid the outside world for the remainder of our vacation.


However, my love for nature led me to research an active volcano called Merapi. I turned to Facebook to gather information about trips to visit the volcano and stumbled upon a group called travelers in Indonesia. As I scrolled through the posts with a sense of boredom, one particular post caught my attention, and I began reading the comments.


A woman mentioned a man named Dwikoen Sastro, claiming he was the best guide. Despite other names being mentioned, I decided to reach out to him through Facebook. Unfortunately, he didn't see my message, so I left a reply on the woman's comment, requesting his contact number. She promptly responded within 30 minutes, providing me with his mobile number. I messaged him on WhatsApp, and to my surprise, he replied within a few minutes. I inquired about visiting the volcano, and he asked if I was available that very night.


Adventure was all set, and I couldn't contain my excitement. We decided to grab a bite from a street called Malioboro, but boy, was that a wrong move! Nevertheless, we made our way back to the hotel and that's when Khaled dropped a bombshell - he wanted to book a flight back to Bali. 


He just couldn't bear staying there any longer. In a flash, we managed to sort out our return plans within an hour - flights, accommodation, and even a fancy limo. We packed our bags and DK picked us up to embark on a thrilling journey to witness the mesmerizing beauty of Merapi's glowing lava.


Let me tell you, the road was absolutely wild, the wildest I've ever experienced. Finally, we reached our destination, only to be greeted by a thick fog that obscured our vision. It was pouring rain, adding to the mystique of the moment. DK and Hendrick quickly gathered wood to start a fire and keep us warm in the chilling cold.


As time passed, the fog gradually lifted, revealing the mighty Merapi in all its glory. The sound of boiling lava echoed in our ears, and in an instant, the lava began to flow, casting an awe-inspiring glow that words fail to capture. Being in the presence of one of the most active volcanoes on Earth was an indescribable experience, a moment that will forever be etched in my memory.


It was a humbling and deeply spiritual moment, connecting us with the very essence of creation. DK managed to capture some incredible photos, which I promise to share with you soon. However, no photograph or words can truly convey the profound serenity that enveloped us in that extraordinary moment.

The Merapi & US.

Comments

Popular Posts