Baking with Rita and keeping traditions

 




It always saddens me to see generations abandoning our old traditions and ways of celebration. However, Rita and I decided to take matters into our own hands. Rita, being Lebanese, introduced me to their unique bakes, which are different from what we have here in Egypt. Together, we made the decision to bake the Egyptian Kahk with a delicious honey and walnut filling. I initially wanted to try the Lebanese or Jordanian version, but Rita explained that it would take too long to prepare the dough. Time was of the essence.


So, I packed my tools in a bag and headed over to Rita's house. We melted the ghee on the stove and sifted the flour, making a small mess in the process. We couldn't help but laugh, and we even called my mother for guidance since she provided us with the recipe. Our laughter continued when Rita accidentally poured the melted ghee on my hand while mixing it with the flour. I must admit, I didn't enjoy the texture, but I persevered and got the dough ready.


While the dough was left to rise, we prepared the filling and set up the table to start shaping our Kahk. We even used a tool called Monkash to create beautiful patterns on the cookies. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the gas bottle ran out, so we had to call the doorman to replace it. It took some time, and I jokingly asked Rita if she was sabotaging our Kahk process. She gave me an evil laugh and admitted to it.


As we sat at the table, we talked for hours, constantly checking on the ones we had put in the oven. There's something about these old traditions that make people feel safe and connected. Spending hours together doing the same thing creates a sense of comfort and trust. It felt incredibly good, and it brought back so many wonderful memories of my grandmothers gathering with the neighbors and making an abundance of baked goods. The boys would then take the trays and go to the main bakery in the area to have them baked for us.


I can't express how beautiful those times were. People's hearts were in the right place, finding happiness in the simplest of things. We shared resources so that everyone, regardless of their wealth, could celebrate the feast. These are experiences that I have had and now dearly miss because I know just how special they were.

Have a wonderful day everyone. 

Comments

Popular Posts