My Gamilah

 


I saw her for the first time in 2016. A boy was sitting next to her and crying. I was with a friend in her car, and I asked my friend to stop to check on both the kid and the puppy. I saw her leg was swollen and clearly broken. I asked the kid what happened, and he said a taxi driver had hit her and run. She was crying, and he didn't know what to do.


The story started there. I took her to Dr. Girgis, and we had an x-ray done. He said she needed bone surgery - her left femur was shattered. I assisted in the operation, which was on the same day I met her. The operation lasted for 7 hours, as I remember. She had a plate and screws to connect the bones.


Gamilah had a temper, like her mama's I would say. She wouldn't take it from anyone and wouldn't keep silent if she was pissed. Gamilah was a very beautiful dog; her face and her fur never changed through the years - she kept the puppy fur, which was extremely soft.


She wouldn't let anyone come close without barking and having her fur up, showing her teeth. She had a temper like no other dog, and she was protective.


Gamilah loved anything small - kittens, puppies - and she treated them as her babies. She wouldn't let any of the pack come close if we had a new kitten or puppy. She would stay up all night, going back and forth and in circles around the young, to protect and play.


Khaled was her favorite human. If he went out, she would stay in the garden on the stairs, waiting for him to return home. And if he was in his room sleeping, she would sleep in front of his door until he woke up, and then she would go mad - jumping, barking, running like a crazy dog all over the place. She loved him very much.


She fought a lot with the other dogs, indoor and outdoor. She was somehow crazy, but the love I had for her, every time I remember how small and how beautiful she was, is unlimited.


Gamilah was the only one of my dogs to chase the guy who attacked me, along with Suki. But she was running after him. So many memories I have had with her - she was my pinky girl.


Gamilah lost her life when our government threw poisoned food in front of our house, and she ate from it with Shaweesh and Dogdog. They made it, but she did not. Gamilah's death has revealed a lot and changed me a lot. I am never going to be like before. She taught me a lot in her life, and more from her death. I still can't believe that she is no longer here, and not only her but my Little boy and Bella - three of them in less than a year. It was brutal.


Gamilah love, I miss you so much. I'm so sorry that your last memory on this planet was horrifying. I'm sorry you came to this country where they don't appreciate how precious you are. I'm fighting for changing this, and I will keep fighting until it changes, or I come to you, and we all be together one more time. Because if there is something that I wish for, it's to see and hug all of you again and hear your voice and smell your fur.


There is nothing like the love I have for you in my heart, and it will remain. I love you, my baby girl, and I'll never stop missing you.


Gamilah was killed by the Egyptian government on July 26th, 2023.


Comments

Popular Posts